COHES3ION aims at improving the performance and impact of Smart Specialisation Strategies (S3) and linked ERDF Operational Programmes in terms of delivery of innovation by Research & Innovation actors through the integration of the territorial dimension into S3 governance and policy mix, contributing additionally to territorial cohesion in terms of growth and jobs.
COHES3ION is composed by 8 European regions interested in integrating the territorial dimension into S3 governance, displaying different levels of maturity, areas of concern, and solutions, in the S3 governance & policy mix field. The shared common challenge is to align the S3 to all territorial levels with 2 aims:
- Smart priorities: Identification of complementarities and synergies between the different levels, in terms of priority or niche opportunities, allowing for the farther specialization of specific territories (region, county, city, metropolis level).
- Governance: Coordination of innovation support players promoting the mobilization of stakeholders and delivering innovation support services all along the territory.
Exchange of experience will focus on: 1) Definition and evaluation of S3 considering spatial planning and monitoring tools; 2) Horizontal coordination of innovation support services at different territory levels; 3) Alignment of placed-based S3 from sub-regional levels (province, county, metropolis, city) to regional S3.
To that end, COHES3ION will achieve the following outputs and results:
- Development of 8 Smart Territorial Maps.
- Identification and exchange of 20 good practices in 3 focus areas.
- Holding of 41 policy learning events with more than 240 stakeholders.
- Engagement of 8 Stakeholders Groups all along the exchange and strategic thinking process leading to the definition and implementation of 8 Regional Action Plans, aiming at the improvement of regional S3 governance and/or the development of new sub-regional S3.
- Issue of recommendations for the mainstreaming of the territorial dimension into ERDF Operational Programmes, S3 and other regional policies.
BEAZ S.A.U. (Lead Partner)
Southern Regional Assembly
North-West Regional Development Agency
Business Metropole Ruhr GmbH
Mazowieckie Voivodeship / Office of the Marshal of the Mazowieckie Voivodeship in Warsaw